Setup and behavior
The resolution (cnt/rev) of the MPG is 400. In some older copies, the resolution may be 200. If you have a machine with high acceleration it may be noticed that the move is not smooth. This is because every count of the MPG gives a small displacement and if your machine has high acceleration the displacement is already done when the next count pulse is read. This can be smoothed out by setting the speed and acceleration percentage lower, such that the movement is smooth enough for normal MPG operation. The parameters are in the setup of the software:
- Cnt/Rev: The number of counts of the hand wheel for one revolution, usually 400 for most CNC hand wheels.
- Count: Counter for wired hand wheel, not used for the XHC Pendant, normally 100 pulses/rev.
- V[%]: Percentage of velocity from selected axis, this is the maximum velocity the axis will move when using the hand wheel.
- A[%]: Percentage of acceleration from selected axis, this is the maximum acceleration the axis will move when using the hand wheel..
- X1..X100 Vel Mode:In velocity mode the most important is that the movement stops immediately when the rotation of the hand wheel stops. The position of the hand wheel will not be maintained if velocity mode is on. The position of the handheld is maintained if velocity mode is off. This also means that the axis may not immediately stop if the hand wheel rotation stops. When turning beyond the limits of the axis, you have to turn back the hand wheel the same amount before the axis starts moving again. In our experience is that it works best to use velocity mode at X100 only.
These parameters allow you to tune the motion behavior such that it has acceptable smoothness and speed.